This eggplant meatballs recipe is a great option for vegetarians! Although I used ground beef this time, it can be made without by simply omitting the meat from the recipe and following the rest of the instructions.
It’s super simple to make and jam packed with flavour!
| What you’ll need|
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil (for bottom of the pan)
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of dry basil (you can use fresh as well)
- 1 teaspoon of dry mint (optional)
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt & pepper for taste
- 1 can of tomato sauce (I used Italian)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano for seasoning
- Optional: 1/2 cup of cooked ground beef (season as you please. I used ground onion, fresh finely chopped parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper & 1 tsp of all-spice)
This is one of those recipes you can pretty much wing, by putting as much or as little spice as you want.
| How to make it|
Start by peeling the skin off the eggplant and cut it into small cubes/rectangles.
Grease a pan with olive oil and place the eggplant cubes, squeeze half a lime on top. Cook the eggplant until tender.
Place the garlic gloves, basil, Italian seasoning and cooked eggplant in a mixer. Season with salt and pepper and mix until you get a thick texture. Don’t over mix, or you’ll end up with soup!
Now it’s time to mix the remaining ingredients with the eggplant mixture. So, here you’ll be adding the meat (optional), crumbled feta, ground parsley, dry mint, bread crumbs and the egg white. Fold until all ingredients are mixed together.
Roll the mixture into round balls.
While you are preparing the meatballs, begin to heat the tomato sauce, so you can plop them in once your meatballs are shaped. It only needs about 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
Cook some spaghetti and place the eggplant meatballs on top and you’re done! Top it off with some Parmigiano-Reggiano for extra goodness!